All Service Engine process-driven drivers can run in four different modes, mainly allowing you to switch between active hardware connection and values simulation.
While "Hardware" allows establishing a connection to the target device(s) and its the most used during the complete project life cycle, simulation modes allow drivers to run without an actual connection and test project configuration before its deployment.
Simulation - counting: According to the Global update time set in the general tab, in Service Engine the driver will:
- Count up numerical variables (overflow is not prevented).
- Toggle Booleans.
- Strings will switch between"Simulation String kurz" (short) and "Simulator String sehr sehr Lange" (very very long).
If "Update time global" is disabled, the driver will change values every 100ms for all variables independently of their priority.
Simulation - static: Variables linked to the driver remain constant in Service Engine unless changed or written by an user action or proper configuration.
Simulation - programmed: Values of the variables are simulated by a free programmable simulation project. The simulation project is created with the help of Logic Studio and runs in a Logic Service integrated in the driver. The benefits of this solution are the following:
- You can fully program your application and control the generation of values and status in Service Engine.
- You can stop, pause or change the simulation application during service engine operation, including changing on-line the cycle of the program by clicking on the metronome button.
- You can overwrite values of the application by pausing the application and directly enter an input to the variable.
- IEC 61131-3 language based.
To create and run quickly a simulation project execute the following steps:
- In the Engineering Studio under Variables > Drivers node click on the "Create-edit simulation project". A new Logic Studio window will appear, listing all the variables linked to the respective driver.
- In Logic Studio, in "main" POU (program organizational unit) enter your free code (or none, for a static application). Change the cycle of the program to match your requirements.
- Build the application in Logic Studio and Start Service Engine.
- In Logic Studio click on the "Online" button to establish a connection to the simulation project-application.
Engineering Studio includes an Energy Wizard called "Driver Simulation Wizard" that allows you to quickly generate a simulation project to simulate command processing actions.
If have any suggestion for this FAQ please leave a feedback.
If you would like to know more about zenon drivers mode please contact your local COPA-DATA Representative.