FAQ: Update CE proceedure
- Windows CE device, with area for persistent storage.
- PC with zenon CE installed.
- TCP/IP connection between PC and CE device.
- syssrvce.exe for the appropriate platform on the CE device.
- Since version 7.11 additionally 5 files have to be installed on the CE device:
- Start the syssrvce.exe on the CE device. If there is no zenon6.ini file available in the same directory, it starts without configuration, and stopped (not possible to make a connection from the PC when it is stopped). Select the appropriate communication channel (TCP/IP) and press start.
- In Engineering Studio,
- From the options menu, select "Update Windows CE Runtime...", the UpdateCE utility is started.
- On the configuration page enter the IP-Address of the CE device and choose whether the zenon6.ini should be transferred or not (choose not if you want to keep your settings).
- On the first page establish the connection to the device. Please make sure, that sufficient free diskspace and sufficient RAM is available.
- In the configuration page you can select drivers to be transported. It is recommended only to transport the needed drivers to save memory.
Generally, files are just copied to the same directory as where the syssrvce.exe on the CE device has been started from. While transporting, a folder "Update" is created in the folder where the syssrvce.exe has been started from, which will contain the new syssrvce.exe and optionally the new zenon6.ini, after the first step of the update. (as the syssrvce.exe is running on the CE device, it cannot be overwritten, hence the folder "update").
On the second step of the update (when you click process again), the syssrvce.exe on the CE device is stopped, the files from the folder "update" are copied to the parent folder (overwriting the files in here), the folder "update" is deleted after that, and the new syssrvce.exe is started. Since 7.11 it will do that automatically.
Until zenon 6.50, driver .dll files are not transported to the device through UpdateCE, but with the project itself when it is transported with remote transport to the CE device.