Checklist: Software Platform installation fails
Time estimate: 30 minutes
Please go through all the items in the following checklist. If necessary, confirm any information you cannot verify with the IT department before contacting your local COPA-DATA representative.
Checklist usage: #. [Quick hints] (point refers specific module/product) Point description.
- If a message is displayed, take a screenshot and follow the displayed error/warning instructions before taking further action.
- Make sure that the operating system is up to date and does not require a restart.
- Make sure that the operating system runs with administrator rights.
The group membership of a Windows user can be viewed in Computer Administration under Local Users and Groups => Users.
A user with administrator rights is normally a member of the Administrators group.
Make sure that organization's endpoint security management software does not override Windows user privileges settings.
- Ensure that the product requirements are met according to the documentation.
- Operating System is supported.
- Hardware minimum requirements are met.
DirectX Diagnostic (DxDiag) report provides a summary of system information.
This is automatically collected by the tool System Information Collector (SIC) and can be found in
node: Console > DXDIAG > dxd.txt.
- Installation-setup path must not be too long.
It is recommended to run the installer directly from the mounted ISO file.
- [Command Prompt: hostname] Computer name complies with the NetBIOS convention:
- May not contain one of the following characters: \/:*?"<>|.
- Not only numbers
- Name length: between 1 - 15 characters
- None of the reserved names
- [SIC-Reduced] Search for errors and instructions in the software and setup pre-requisites installation logs located in %TEMP% folder.
Installation logs can be found in different locations in the %TEMP% or other folder depending of the product version and the pre-requisite.
You can use a search file application to find specific text in multiple files simultaneously.
Most common keywords when looking for erroneous messages are: exit, error, failed, code.
When installing Engineering Studio, you will find relevant information for troubleshooting in the SQL Server setup bootstrap.
This data can be found in the SIC under Files > Platform > SQL Server > 'SQL-Server [VERSION] Log' > [DATE and TIME] folder.
The System Configuration Check report file lists the rules that must be met to install SQL Server.
- [SIC-Reduced] No other OEM version of the product was previously installed.
- Make sure that cyber-security software (e.g. Antivirus, Windows Defender, etc.) allows installation and does not report any installation blockage.
- Installation also fails when separating the computer from network and cyber-security software has been disabled.
- Most commonly, cyber-security software prevents zenon Software Platform services (e.g. zenLogSrv, zenAdminSrv, etc..) from starting or execute properly.
- Using Windows Resource Monitor filtered to zenon processes/services allows to see 3rd party DLLs attached to the respective executable.
- Local/Group Policies do not restrict actions required by the installer independently of the user privileges (e.g. Administrator is not authorized to start Windows Services, etc.).
- Downloaded file SHA-1 hash is identical to the respective SHA1-1 hash in COPA-DATA product downloads page.
If the problem persists after working through this checklist and taking the recommended actions: Please contact your local COPA-DATA representative. Attach a SIC-Reduced Report of the target computer(s) and the result of this checklist. Please include any additional information or comments you feel are relevant.
The System Information Collector (SIC) is a stand-alone COPA-DATA application. It collects data relevant for troubleshooting about the operating system and the zenon Software Platform. SIC is installed with zenon. You start SIC via the zenon Startup Tool or Windows Start.
Checklist: Software-dongle is broken
Time estimate: 15 minutes Please go through all the points in the following checklist. If necessary, confirm with IT Department any information you cannot verify before contacting your local COPA-DATA Representative. Checklist usage: #. [Quick hints] ...
Checklist: Update CE fails
Time estimate: 15 minutes Please go through all the points in the following checklist. If necessary, confirm with IT Department any information you cannot verify before contacting your local COPA-DATA Representative. Screenshot and followed ...
System Information Collector (SIC): Does not include installation logs of zenon 10 (software platform)
Summary Software platform setup logs are now collected. Description Software platform setup logs are now collected. Issue Number: 239758 Fixed on Date: 0.0.0 Versions: 10 0 BUILD 83962
Checklist: zenHelpService cannot start
Time estimate: 15 minutes Please go through all the items in the following checklist. If necessary, confirm any information you cannot verify with the IT department before contacting your local COPA-DATA representative. If during the installation of ...
Checklist: HTML Web Engine
Time estimate: 20 minutes Please go through all the points in the following checklist. If necessary, confirm with IT Department any information you cannot verify before contacting your local COPA-DATA Representative. Screenshot and followed ...